360 Gal DIY Reef Tank

acropoorer

GlassCages also uses a Dow Corning product but they buy it in bulk containers :lol:

From everything I have read and all of the people and companies I have talked to, any silicone will work. You just want to make sure it is 100% silicone and follow the directions for proper cure time. Of course, this is for glass to glass adhesion.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that AGE uses a UV hardening adhesive for their tanks.

Can/will you share a rough cost of the materials for your tank? My guess is that AGE would run in the $5K range for one of that size. I understand if you don't want to, just curious from a comparison standpoint.

I have no desire/space/money/spousal approval for something of this nature, simply curious so if you don't feel like sharing publicly, I get it.

My understanding is that AGE uses a UV hardening adhesive for their tanks.

Can/will you share a rough cost of the materials for your tank? My guess is that AGE would run in the $5K range for one of that size. I understand if you don't want to, just curious from a comparison standpoint.

I have no desire/space/money/spousal approval for something of this nature, simply curious so if you don't feel like sharing publicly, I get it.

Robb,

I am not convinced that AGE uses anything other than silicone. I poked around their tanks and if there is something other than silicone in the pvc/glass joint it is well hidden -- saw/felt rubber on both sides. I did get a quote from AGE, but they didn't quote exactly what I asked for. Based upon their quote, my guess is that to get what I wanted (close to what i built) would have been in the $9K range with tax and drop shipping included. AGE and their dealers will never tell you how they do it, but they will make it sound complicated and technical. That makes them exclusive and they can charge more for their product. Not to say that they don't have a great product because they do. Love the pvc bottom.

I have about $2800 in the tank and expect to have an additional $1000 in the stand and hood (lighting excluded of course). I could have saved $400 on the tank if I would have been willing to meet glass cages delivery truck in San Antonio, but decided to have it delivered to my house and part with the cash. The biggest expense on the stand is the Oak for the moldings ($300) and 8 raised panel solid oak doors ($400).

Dale

• 1 month later...

We have water and Nh3. Been waiting two weeks now and still have high ammonia ~2ppm. Water still looks pee yellow and I soaked my dry rock 3 times in RO/DI for a week before going with salt. I'm new at this dry rock thing but was hoping for faster results. Just changed out my carbon tonight.

My plan is to move all my stuff out of my existing tanks to the new monster in the garage. The setup is temporary and halides will move one at a time with the coral. I have the big panworld pump doing all the work and man does it rock. 1850 gal/hr thru my chiller and back to the tank, the final system will only be 1000 - 1200 gal/hr on the returns and the pan world will be closed loop for my chiller only. Borrowed a few items from friends to run temporary for the change over -- deltec skimmer and a phos reactor. Working on my lighting now to get ready to grow some coraline. The skin may be a while, need to get a week off from work.

After going over to Mike Delgado's spring break I decided to add 6 finnex led strips for moonlight but will probably run them all the time for supplemental light. They only burn 9 watts per strip and never burn out, so why not. As a moonlight, the view is like going another planet -- never seen anything like it! Thought he put something in my drink!

No! It's not what it looks like, the color is from the dry rock.

post-77-12702721480662_thumb.jpg

Looking good, the water is a bit yellowed, but I would say your problem is on it's way out if you're only getting that much yellow through feet of water. Think of how much easier it is to see any issues with water clarity when you're looking through 3+ feet of it vs. 2 or less in a smaller tank... it's probably better than you think. Also sounds like you've saved quite a bit from the DIY option.

Hey, looking fantastic. A little change in topic perhaps but I noticed you seem to be using a rubbermade vat for a fuge. Could you go into details on your current usage and plans? I ask as I'm considering running plumbing through a wall to use one on my 180.

Concerning the yellow tint when was the last water change? My 180 is starfire on 3 sides and the only time I see a yellow tint is just before a water change.

Interesting link. Regal plastics sold me an adhesive that also bonds plastic to glass which I didn't use(called E6100). I met a guy in Houston that had a small business building skimmers, fuges and an occasional tank (sapphire aquatics). I went with his recommendations on how to glue to the pvc bottom joint (he was quite certain the plastic to glass adhesives will fail). So far no regrets, but I still have to move the tank.

Hey, looking fantastic. A little change in topic perhaps but I noticed you seem to be using a rubbermade vat for a fuge. Could you go into details on your current usage and plans? I ask as I'm considering running plumbing through a wall to use one on my 180.

Concerning the yellow tint when was the last water change? My 180 is starfire on 3 sides and the only time I see a yellow tint is just before a water change.

I have a couple of the 110 gal watering tanks with a side bulkhead plumbed in. Plan on using one as a cryptic fuge and place for sediment to collect under the tank (overflows will empty into tub) and will use a large single 3" drain out to the garage sump. The sump in the garage has a skimmer and physical filter and 2 return pumps - chiller on closed loop to main tank will also be in the garage. I am thinking of feeding my closet tanks to the tub to reduce the flow in the sump. The tubs are also handy for temporary holding when doing tank reorganization or cleaning tank out. I love the tubs, got them used for $45 each, very handy.

• 3 weeks later...

Dale, I'm going to bug you in a few months about building a tank. I'd love to build a tank myself.

Free advise here! Always willing to help out and remember, bigger is better.

I just finished installing most of my lighting until I take down my existing tanks and salvage the remaining lights I need. Still to add 3 luminarcs with 400 watt halides and one more icecap with two 6' T12 actinic but the heavy lifting is done. See pictures below.

Next phase is to place the light hood on the tank to bring up coraline on my dry rock. Still waiting for the stuff to develop bacteria. My ammonia is 0 but the Nitrites and Nitrates are pegged on my tests. Not sure how long this will take and can't find much good literiture on curing dry rock. Everyone says use dry rock to avoid the bad stuff but then they tell you to seed with existing rock. How do you insure that you don't get bad stuff if you use existing live rock to start the dry rock? Been struggling with this.

Let there be actinic!

post-77-12718146811806_thumb.jpg

Lights off.

post-77-1271814759976_thumb.jpg

Lights look good Dale. No problems growing anything with all that light.

On the dry/seeded rock, I used 50 lbs of dry rock and seeded it with a 5 lb live rock. With some MB7 and prodiobio, it was seeded pretty quickly. I think that it will take a while for a larger amount of dry rock, but with good circulation and nutrients, the bacteria will seed quickly. I don't think that you'll need light for the bacteria, but perhaps the corraline will need it.

Wow, you have really done a great job!

I'm putting together a 440 gallon right now and we are building everything but the tank. I was to nervous about doing it right and the possibility of some sort of catastrophic failure.

I have a question for you, your tank is approximately 3500 lbs, did you worry at all about the strength of the stand? I was worried about our stand especially after glass cages told me not to build it from steel. I started to find an engineer to design the stand so that I could sleep well at night but decided that wouldn't be necessary at the last minute, I hope this wasn't a bad decision.

Did you put styrofoam under your tank?

Very immpressive!

Wow, you have really done a great job!

I'm putting together a 440 gallon right now and we are building everything but the tank. I was to nervous about doing it right and the possibility of some sort of catastrophic failure.

I have a question for you, your tank is approximately 3500 lbs, did you worry at all about the strength of the stand? I was worried about our stand especially after glass cages told me not to build it from steel. I started to find an engineer to design the stand so that I could sleep well at night but decided that wouldn't be necessary at the last minute, I hope this wasn't a bad decision.

Did you put styrofoam under your tank?

Very immpressive!

I have seen your posts, your tank is gonna be awesome!

With regard to stand structure, I used a 3x6 plywood glue lam on the ends and 2.25x6 on the front and back. There is are six points of support to the floor as the front and back have a center support. I didn't use styrofoam, but leveled the base and built the tank in place. The bottom is 1" pvc landed on a 3/4" sheet of plywood. So far so good.

I will start soon, maybe this weekend if the nitrites get to 0. I plan to move slowly, not looking to lose livestock.

Everything looks great Dale! Make sure to let me know if you need help moving things over. School is practically over for me! :)

Lights look good Dale. No problems growing anything with all that light.

On the dry/seeded rock, I used 50 lbs of dry rock and seeded it with a 5 lb live rock. With some MB7 and prodiobio, it was seeded pretty quickly. I think that it will take a while for a larger amount of dry rock, but with good circulation and nutrients, the bacteria will seed quickly. I don't think that you'll need light for the bacteria, but perhaps the corraline will need it.

Probably to late to add anything, think I'm near the end. Just has taken a long time -- a month. Starting coraline and a few corals this weekend if the parameters look ok.

Let me know when you are ready to start planning your tank build and feel free to call me if you want.