So, since I'm rebuilding this tank I think it's appropriate that I just hijack and continue on...
Around the 15th of January 2015, this tank split a seam.
In my living room.
Luckily, I was up watching a Harry Potter marathon with a couple of my sister in laws and I got to see one of them get sprayed in the face by fresh salt water as the rest of us looked on horrified at what had just happened.
I mean, what do you do in that situation? 120 gallons of water in a glass box is sitting in your living room with no where to go and it pretty much explodes with a strong spray of water all over the place.
So, we grabbed buckets and filled them as good as we could while the other two held pressure on the front glass pane so it didn't totally fail.
And this is what I was left with.
I'll tell you what. That was a sound that I will never forget. That crack.
To say I was upset is an understatement.
I had just invested a lot of money in a set up that I thought would be awesome.
I drained the rest of the tank, took the rocks and sand out, sold everything alive and washed my hands of the whole thing. I was done and disgusted. Along with buying this tank and a lot of supplies to set it up, we had just had a baby and there was no way I would be able to afford to pay someone to reseal and start back up. Not to mention how upset my wife was...she still brings it up.
Though I never said it to anyone, I believed this problem to be caused by the seller. I was wrong. As the years have gone by, I have gone over how I loaded this in the truck to bring it home and remembered the points at which I put pressure, it was me. I pulled way to hard at the top, exactly where it split. I did not think of this at the time because of the financial loss I had just gone through but I am now confident that I was the cause and not the seller.
So, here I am 3.5 years later and I'm ready to get back into the game.
I plan to reseal this myself instead of getting another to do it. While I'm at it, I will put some support bracing at the top to prevent this from happening again.
So, here is where I'm at right now.
I have the front pane pulled, I just need to clean and reseal installing the two new pieces of glass for bracing at the same time.
This tank has been stored inside and I have checked the other seals and everything seems to be okay. My plan is to get it sealed, then fill it in the back yard and leave it for a week to ensure this does not happen again.
I also got a stand built for it...its huge...
My 6 year old above.
It has 1 coat of primer on it to prevent it from rusting while I set the rest of the tank up. I'm thinking of painting it some crazy weird color like zombie green or something for character, but we will see.
Anyways, that's all I've got for right now. I plan on taking this build super slow so it may be a while between updates, just hang in there. For me, this is a lot of the fun.