Ok. I've succumb to this idea and decided to implement it. I had everything but the light and fixtures to do this project and I said "Why the heck not?"
I did as simple a design as I could to minimize uncirculated water.
I didn't take many pics as I was building it. It honestly only took me about 15 minutes to source out the correct bits and pieces of 1" PVC from my "bucket o' parts".
I used a quietone 4000 pump, Way overkill, a ball valve and union. Oh yeah, bits of 1" PVC. Basically what I came up with was this.
I soon realized there was quite a bit of errant spray from my quick job. So I decided to build a spray shield out of some scrap acrylic I had laying around.
Unfortunately I was still getting the reflectors wet and that caused me some concern. So I built another spray shield.
Works much better now. I'll keep y'all posted on the progress. I've read that you likely won't see a lot of growth in the first several days.
Also, for the record, these are the bulbs and reflectors I got at Lowes.
- Ben -