Very, very, very fat Mimic Blenny!!!?????

reefman

I got a Mimic Goby (blue head, yellow body, dark blue strip down the body) when I was at Fin-Addict a couple of weeks ago, and he/she has gotten so fat it looks like its about to explode. I mean it has gotten a really, really fat belly. It seems to be eating fine, and does mostly what Gobies do, which is just hanging out.

Is anything wrong with it?

I lost a Powder Blue Tang in this tank a few days ago, so I'm a little antsy right now.

Stephen

Well, its probably too late to do anything, but the Blenny isn't coming out of its hole today, so I'm pretty sure he isn't going to make it. I read on one site where it talked about these fish "could" get constipated and blocked (of all things), and that 1 tbsp of epsom salt in 1 Gal of water could be used as a laxative.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like that?

Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of my problems are the results of the heavy feeding I'm doing. Can anyone point me to a piece of evidence (preferably with science behind it) that spells out the feeding the fish DOES NOT have any affect on whether the fish are going to mess with each other or not?

If I could find something to this affect in print I could print it out in a big, big font to shove it under my wife's nose and maybe stop the constant nagging about "not feeding the fish enough", "if I feed them more often they wouldn't be as aggressive and go after each other", etc. etc.

I feed a little in the morning, and then again at night. Every time I try to cut back to once a day or 3 - 4 times a week, the hassling starts. I strongly feel that this issue with the Blenny, as well as some others I have had possibly have their root cause because of the bio-load I'm putting on the tank with the feeding.

Stephen

Interesting Gabriel. I don't think I would be as worried about feeding heavy if I was skimming heavy. I have a Tunze skimmer in the sump, which might be okay, but not what I've heard is what would be considered a heavy skimmer. Plan to replace it eventually, but that's lower on the priority list right now. I was thinking getting refuges started on both the tanks would be better, but maybe i should reconsider.

Stephen