WORST IDEA EVER!!!!!!!!!

Headless_donkey

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not get into the politics of things. . .

I agree it is a BAD idea!

It's unfortunate that a few folks with money can make a major change to a city. Most folks I know and those who visit for out of state as well as other countries really love Austin music scene. If this ordinance passes IMO we could see a downturn in tourism and musicians migrating out of Austin.

I'm not sure if this will be voted on by the city council or up to voting public either way you need to make your voice heard!

I saw this article on another site. It makes my heart ache. I don't understand how people can take living things and mistreat them solely for human entertainment. I think 1 of 2 things will happen: (1) there will be so many protests they won't do it, or (2) they'll do it, but the interest will pass quickly and it'll close down.

Austin is known for its love of nature, and hopefully nature will prevail (think black capped vireo, Barton Springs lizard, the cave spiders, the bats, the new dog laws, etc).

Or some crazy bunch o' nuts rent a large U-Haul, fill it with a bunch of tanks from craigslist, go over there and steal them while the place is closed, drive to the beach and set them free while singing the theme song to Free Willy. :wave:

Or some crazy bunch o' nuts rent a large U-Haul, fill it with a bunch of tanks from craigslist, go over there and steal them while the place is closed, drive to the beach and set them free while singing the theme song to Free Willy. :wave:

Too funny Karen, =-)

I can't sing wort anything but I have a couple tanks I can donate to the cause! How does that theme song go anyway? I can't remember...

it's really sad that everything I liked about Austin that led me to move here less than a year ago is in the process of getting pushed out by over privileged Californians and legislated against by inept officials... If this garbage keeps up for very long I'll probably just kiss the states goodbye and move back across the pond, I'm really starting to miss living in the UK more than I like living in Austin :)

The more I think about this, the more I want to protest.

Anyone in?

I might be. What do you have in mind? I would bet there is at least one group here in town getting plans together, I wonder how we could find out. Don't they have to have some kind of license for this, either for the tank or the sharks?

unfortunately the only legal requirement to obtain and keep the sharks they're killing is a big pile of money, and the tank only would need to have passed structure code inspections, both which they seem to have... So even with the moral highground this isn't a fight you can win.

They're not doing anything illegal with the sharks they've got, it's just grossly amoral and a horrifically stupid idea. The only thing protesting might get you is a night in a holding cell, not worth it in my mind.

Instead I'd rather fight them the only way I can by going to the old bars and keeping that spirit as alive as we can and let all the wannabe celebutards have their dead sharks and 1000 dollar bottles of booze... I'll still be at Riley's if anyone wants to join me for a 5 dollar whiskey to mourn the loss of Austin as it was... Too much outrage before I even go to work, today's not going to be a good day.

it's really sad that everything I liked about Austin that led me to move here less than a year ago is in the process of getting pushed out by over privileged Californians and legislated against by inept officials... If this garbage keeps up for very long I'll probably just kiss the states goodbye and move back across the pond, I'm really starting to miss living in the UK more than I like living in Austin :)

I have to whole heartedly agree with this you on this one. I miss Germany.

---

On Topic:

Let me start by saying I think this is a horrorible thing to do to such beautiful and sensitive animals, and its something I would have expected of somewhere like LA or Miami, not Austin. *sigh* But I'm not sure there is anything that can be done about it. You're talking about a privately owned club. Unless they don't pass inspection, or don't feed the animals (etc.) there really isn't much that can be done.

Protesting is a double edged sword too... either you can bring attention to the numbers of dead animals this thing generates or it brings the ppl running this thing more money because normal, dumb, and/or trendy ppl who would otherwise not have known about it (and think its a cool idea) find out and go check it out... PETA is gonna be the best bet on this one... get them to breath down the owner's neck if they aren'y already.

-Kat :)

Ok, I retract my last statement (although I am opposed to the sound ordinance)

I agree somewhat with CaptinBob, boycotting would be the only way to stop THIS bar by having it close its doors. Unfortunately I feel a precedence has already been set. However running away from the problems will not solve these kinds of issues. I feel running away is like hiding your head in the sand.

By alerting animal activist group like PETA (thanks James) would bring a focus the inhuman treatment of the sharks. Right now it is being presented as a novelty “Come Dance with the Sharks!”

We as the human race must understand that we are the caretakers of nature and this is not natural!

Kat, I'm going to very respectfully disagree with you on the PETA thing. I'm an animal rights advocate myself and have volunteered with many rescue groups both "in the field" and in trying to bring attention to animal abuse. I'm also one of many who are not only embarassed by some of PETA's actions, but feel their actions have had a negative impact on OUR actions.

I'm sure there are many PETA members that have the animals' best interest heart, unfortunatley they're overshadowed by the attention-grabing lunatics that just want their face on the evening news. I think PETA itself would be the main attraction, rather than the fish.

I'm not sure what our best bet would be, but we could start with advertising on websites (possibly this one and MAAST), editorials to The Statesman and The Chronical, etc. Make as many people aware of the situation as possible and hope that , in number, we could call this to the attention of those that could actually do something about it.

We as the human race must understand that we are the caretakers of nature and this is not natural!

"We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals. Remote from universal nature and living by complicated artifice, man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. We patronize them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate for having taken form so far below ourselves. And therein do we err. For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with the extension of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the Earth."

Henry Beston

The Outermost House

Letters to the Chronicle and statesman aren't a bad idea. I just contacted PETA because I thought they did good stuff. They do support breed banning which I will NEVER get behind. Hopefully one of the local groups will get back to me. I figured they would have fought something like this before and would keep me from trying to reinvent the wheel.

Karen-do you have any suggestions of groups to contact? I found a ton of Austin groups involving dogs and cats, but only a few that had a broader interest.